IUI or artificial insemination treatments are used together with ovulation induction medications for the treatment of many diagnoses. Artificial insemination/IUI can be an effective treatment for patients with:
- Patent (open) fallopian tubes
- Cervical factor – abnormalities of cervical mucus or cervical canal
- Some ovulatory abnormalities – irregular menstrual cycles, PCOS
- Absence of or minimal endometriosis (Mild or Stage I-II Endometriosis)
- Mostly normal sperm evaluation
- Complete absence of sperm in the male (azoospermia) requiring donor sperm IUI. Advanced Fertility Care Physicians will outline the necessary female testing and provide a list of FDA approved sperm banks throughout the country from where donor sperm can be purchased and sent directly to our Center.
- Same sex couples – IUI with donor sperm is the optimal means to achieve pregnancy. At Advanced Fertility Care, we welcome same sex couples and are proud to have helped many couples become happy parents. At the initial consultation, Advanced Fertility Care Physicians will review the additional blood testing required of same sex couples and also provide them with a list of FDA approved sperm banks throughout the country from where donor sperm can be purchased and sent directly to our Center.
Artificial insemination/IUI is not recommended as an effective treatment for couples with:
- Tubal blockage or severe tubal damage
- Diminished ovarian reserve (high FSH) or ovarian failure (menopause)
- Severe male factor infertility – If the sperm count, motility and morphology scores are significantly abnormal, intrauterine insemination is unlikely to work. For example: if the total motile sperm count at the time of insemination (after the processing) is less than 10 million, the chances for pregnancy are substantially lower. In these cases, IVF in vitro fertilization with ICSI (injecting sperm into the eggs) is the best treatment option.
- Advanced stages of endometriosis
- Advanced female age (>40 years old) – More aggressive treatment with IVF or donor egg IVF is recommended for these patients.